The All India Essay Writing Event has been the flagship event of the partnership between the United Nations Information Centre for India and Bhutan ( UNIC ) and Shri Ram Chandra Mission ( SRCM ) for past 14 years. This year marks fifteen years of this partnership. It has been decided to name this event as the HEARTFULNESS ESSAY EVENT from this year on.
Shri Ram Chandra Mission is a non-profit educational and spiritual service organization. It promotes heart-based living through meditation as a means to universal peace and harmony. It is one of 1600 NGOs associated with the United Nations Department of Public Information. Under a collaborative initiative SRCM and the Heartfulness Education Trust have developed educational programs for youth aimed at bringing about an understanding and acceptance of universal human values.
An Invitation to the Youth
Youth is a time of possibilities. It is a period in life filled with opportunities waiting to be realized, provided we are prepared. While education helps us to develop our physical and intellectual capabilities to their optimum extent, and prepares us to thrive in a competitive world, there is one aspect of our development that does not often receive the attention due to it – the development of our inner Being.
Without the synchronous development of body, mind and heart our evolution as human beings remains incomplete. It
is therefore balance in addition to excellence that the youth must strive for – the balance between mind and heart, the outer and the inner, between thinking and feeling.
Through Heartfulness Essay Event, we invite you to tap into your inner space, tune in to the soft voice of the heart that never fails to guide and inspire and, express in words your feelings on the topic.
Your willingness to participate in this event is, to us, a silent but effective expression of your concern for the state of our world and your recognition of the crucial role that youth must play in the creation of a new world inhabited by capable and balanced individuals. Therefore, as in past years, we once again urge YOU to apply your mind and search your heart as you pen down your personal understanding of these topics.
TOPICS – 2019
Category I – Classes 9 to 12
(Word Limit – 500)
The measure of intelligence is the ability to change. – Albert Einstein
Category II – U.G & P.G
Age Limit < 28 years (unemployed)
(Word Limit 750)
All love is expansion, all selfishness is contraction. – Swami Vivekananda
National Level: English, Hindi
Regional Level: Any one language from Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu as per state wise eligibility list.
19th September 2019
Last Date for Submission
For clarification or details
Documents for the participation/ institution
Why One Should Participate
Highly credible Collaboration with UNIC
Support the need for character formation and balanced existence to build a transformed society
Thought Provoking topics to express your feelings in words
Recognition at different levels – Participation, Institution , State and National Level
Be a part of the largest event in educational institutions across India
Unique Opportunity to tap into your inner space, tune in to the soft voice of the heart
Rules and Guidelines for Participation
Rules for the Participant
- Please check out with your school authorities or look out for the event poster displayed in your institution or contact the Essay Event coordinator of your institution.
- In each State 2 or 3 language options will be offered which are locally relevant, out of the approved 11 languages. To find out about the option of languages offered to a participating institution, the students need to check with Essay Event Coordinator of their institution. Download of state wise eligibility
- All entries must be on A4 size sheets.
- Essays may be hand written in black or blue ink or computer typed in black in Calibri script in respect of essays in English and relevant script in respect of essays in Hindi and regional language. For all options only Font size 12 should be used.
- All entries must have the prescribed Participant Information Slip filled in ENGLISH ONLY firmly attached to them. The participant must write the number of words on the last page and sign at the bottom of each page.
- The essay must reflect the participant’s personal understanding of the topic based partly on some of his or her own experiences .Students are permitted and encouraged to read and research the topics. All submitted pieces must nonetheless be the original work of the student and any references or quotations therein must be duly acknowledged. Plagiarism from books or internet will not be viewed favorably.
- There are two categories of participation and students must necessarily write on the topics given for their applicable category only. They should write only in one language. Download of language poster
- The word limit for Category 1 is 500 and Category 2 is 750 and must be strictly adhered to.
- Students must refrain from making illustrations/sketches of any kind.
- Essays must be submitted by participants to their school/ college coordinator.
Rules for the Institution
- The institute needs to register in order to confirm their participation in the link provided at www.heartfulness.org/essay-event. The total strength of eligible students from the institution need to be mentioned during the registration process i.e. studying in class 9-12 / UG or PG < 28 years age. A mail of confirmation will be sent by the Event team.
- The institution may decide and share the last date of submission for their institute not exceeding 19th of September.
- The top 5 essays need to be selected and marked or ranked in each applicable language by the institution on the basis of the evaluation criteria shared.
- The Participant Information Sheet need to be duly filled in ENGLISH only and signed by the candidate and attached to the essay.
- All essays along with a complete list of participants from a participating institution must be submitted to the institution’s designated authorities within the last date of submission. The participant details may be entered through the login provided after registration or shared in the Participant List format provided in the download section.
- The institution authorities are required to submit the entries to our local representative within the last date of submission.
Rules for Direct Submissions
- The participant should be enrolled for study with an institution, which is not participating in the Essay Event Program or may have opted for a distance learning course/program.
- He/she should be less than 28 years of age as on 31st August 2019.
- He/she will not be eligible to participate in this Event if employed either in an Institution or in any Private/Government organization.
- Register yourself online for the submission of your essay. The option will be made available after closure of Institution registration in September.
- Your registration will be sent to our local coordinator who will be able to guide you.
- Rules 3 to 9 mentioned under section “Rules for Participants from institution” are applicable for direct entry.
- To submit your entry to our local representative, you may write to us at email@example.com, giving your name, postal address, district, pin code and telephone number/s. We will direct you to our designated representative for the submission of your entry before due date.
DIRECT ENTRY submission will open in September.
Prizes in Each Category
National Level :
Top ten essays, written in ENGLISH and HINDI.
State level :
Upto Top Ten essays in Regional Language (if applicable) in addition to essays in English and Hindi
Merit Certificates :
A Certificate of Merit each to two top entries from each language opted for by an institution
Certificate of Participation
E-certificates will be awarded to all certified participants.
Diamond Award :
to the Institution of the National Level 1st Prize Winners –
Rs. 75,000 (4 Awards)
Platinum Award :
to the Institution of the National Level 2nd Prize Winners –
Rs. 50,000 (4 Awards)
Gold Award :
to the Institution of the National Level 3rd Prize Winner –
Rs. 25,000 ( 4 Awards)
Brighter Minds Commendable Initiative Award to the Institution for highest Participation-
Rs. 10,000 (5 Awards)
Institution Appreciation Certificates
Gold Institution certificate :
Above 90% participation of students from the Institution.
Silver Institution certificate :
80-90% participation of students from the Institution.
Bronze Institution certificate :
60-79% participation of students from the Institution.
* Students may be required to undertake a telephonic interview to qualify for the final award.
* All awards are subject to the discretion of the Evaluation Committee.
* The certificates awarded will be signed by the Director of the UNIC and the President of SRCM.
Last date for submission of essays by participants to their institution : Date specified by the institution coordinator or 19 September 2019
Last date for submission of all essays along with the selected top 5 essays by institution to SRCM representative: 30 September 2019
Declaration of results: December 2019
Read and Enjoy
The Heartfulness Way
by Kamlesh Patel, President of Shri Ram Chandra Mission
by Kamlesh Patel, President of Shri Ram Chandra Mission
Reality at Dawn by Shri Ram Chandra, Founder President of Shri Ram Chandra Mission
My Master by Parthasarthi Rajagopalachari
Role of the Master in Human Evolution by Parthasarthi Rajagopalachari
Principles of Sahaj Marg Vol. 1 by Parthasarthi Rajagopalachari
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda
An Introduction to Yoga by Annie Besant
An Introduction to Philosophy by George S. Fullerton
The Republic by Plato
The Categories by Aristotle
The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant
A Pluralistic Universe by William James
The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell
Mysticism and Logic and other Essays by Bertrand Russell
Media Partner for Maharashtra